Monday 24 December 2007

Little surprises in life

On the 21Dec 2007, four days away from Christmas, what would you be doing? After walking Lisa to the train station, I surprised myself by finishing some work at least, for the assurance of a more enjoyable Christmas. So I worked albeit with a little distraction on the longest ‘assignment’ (my document for the colloquium), right through to 12.20pm. it’s one of those times where you felt you have to do it (sacrifice), and know that at least you are accountable (to God) for trying. Little did I know of the surprises He had for me.

Boon and I planned for a trip to our favourite fishing spot, so after sending Norman and Vania to the airport, we went fishing.

Ever since I came here and started fishing again, I’ve always dreamed of hooking a threadfin, also known as the Australian salmon. Never did I realize that God had this pleasant surprise to conclude 2007! We already satisfied our craving for the day as we had caught a 10kg stingray and a bream. In fact we were not expecting more. But, at about 6.30pm, something tugged my line and sprinted away with my live bait twice, even though I hooked the bait wrongly, I caught a threadfin. It’s amazing, what God can provide even in a fishing trip like this.

As we celebrate Christmas amidst all the merry making, food and catching up, have you wondered about the true meaning of Christmas? In my humble understanding, it’s a special day where God chooses to become human- in the form of Jesus to come to earth to save us! I remember just a year back when we went to Suphanburi, Thailand, for a short Christmas mission trip, I played the role of a inn-keeper in the Nativity. Ironically, I have to tell Joseph, Mary and baby Jesus there’s “No room!” at the inn. “No room” for Jesus in our lives is not something new whether you are a believer or not. Ironically, for most of us, when we become desperate (or chasing after elusive dreams) in life that we allow Jesus more room. I hope that I can make a disciplined decision to follow Jesus everyday of my life, so that when I get more surprises, I know a little more about Him. I hope that you can make a decision to give Him more room so that you can know Him more and let Him bless your life.

May God be the glory for all at home now and forever. Amen! Merry Christmas from both of us!

*** The nativity is no folklore (Santa story is)- it happened 2000 years ago. God came as Jesus, 33 years later gave his life unconditionally to save us (died for our sins).***

No comments:

Post a Comment