Friday 5 October 2007

Very slo..ow afternoon

For those who are checking back frequently on this blog: Joerg and I take turns to write our entries, and we decided not to post too often, otherwise we won't be able to keep up! Apologies to those who are used to a new entry every day... I think for us, you can expect one new entry at least once a week or once a fortnight!

I'm writing this in the middle of a hot afternoon, in my office. I have reached a mental block on my work, so hopefully this will 'loosen' my cortex a little bit. This will be one of my more frivolous entries...

Well somewhere along the way we seem to have bypassed Spring and headed straight into Summer. Just to give you an idea- it was 33 degrees yesterday. What a scorcher! Right now we're sitting on a more-or-less comfortable 25 degrees. We've given up our morning walks to Uni- we wouldn't be able to make it up all those hills! We try to make the hikes back home in the evening so that at least there's still that bit of exercise. So for the past two weeks it's been a cruise down to UQ, which is not bad, and takes all of 10 minutes. A bonus for us last week was seeing a dolphin playing in the waters of the Brisbane river. That's really rare, and Joerg reckons it must have wandered in together with the tide. That was the one and only time we saw it; been looking out over the last few days but no sightings again.

We're well and truly down to serious stuff with our research... no playing around! Last night poor Joerg stayed up til 2.45am to finish what he could of his literature review, believing that he had a meeting with his supervisors today. I had hit the sack by 12.30am! This morning he got up at 8am and continued to chip away at it. Thank God, he managed to do most of it (which probably constitutes 10% of the whole thesis) and submitted it by 12pm as directed. We rushed in to Uni at 1pm, only to find out that his supes only wanted the written work, not a face-to-face meeting, so that they could discuss his work next Monday! Anyway it was good that that was done, so now he can enjoy the rest of the day, and the weekend as well (read: "Gone fishing").

What was I doing? I have to confess, this week has not been one of my better weeks. Now that I actually have to put the readings down and start pulling all the threads of ideas together into a comprehensive review, my motivation has flown out the window. I love to read, but ask me to synthesise ideas and what it all means, and I'm lost for words. I need at least 5000 of them (words, I mean) right now! I guess I'll chip away at it slowly, and just put it all down now, organise the ideas later. Must remember Who I'm doing this for!

Am looking forward to this evening... a relaxing time at Blacon St. with the rest of our Oz family. SL is making laksa! But before that, hope to get more stuff done so that I can enjoy the evening guilt-free. Tomorrow it looks like we're on for Montville... Fred, I'll take pictures so that you can enjoy it as well, from your laptop!

Alrighty, time to get on with it. 1 hour more. Jia you, jia you!!

No comments:

Post a Comment