Tuesday 4 September 2007

strength for the day


[Joerg writes]

Greetings!

Welcome to our first post in our little corner of the web.

As we are not so tech-savvy and have always felt unequipped to embark on a daunting task like this, we've finally gotten our act together so that we can keep our family and friends updated in our daily walk and give praise to the Giver of life.

Strength for the day? We all need that, don't we? Ever wondered where you draw your strength from each and everyday? From the kaya toast? The nasi lemak? A cuppa? From the many exercise workouts and life experiences? Or from something more eternal?

We started an interesting journey here in Brisbane two and a half months ago. People have asked us, "Why are you doing this? Spending money that we don't have, to get a degree that is not likely to get you a pay-rise... are you crazy or what??" Many questions were unanswered. No finances, no scholarship (yet!), non-lucrative study investment, possible to study in S'pore.......... It's not easy for us to be back here studying- there are many challenges we encountered and will continue to face along the way.

Many things would have held us back and left us struggling for a solution in the short 2 months we have been here. It took us 5 weeks to finally find our own place, a roof over our heads complete with security, huge front verandah, swimming pool (10 metres long with salt water), and separate rooms with an ensuite.

I was confident with my previous experience here in 2002-2003, that we could a place within 2 weeks. We got rejected by agents/landlords 3 times.
We toured Brisbane looking for white goods. Fridge, washing machines etc In the process of helping us to move the fridge, godpa Bill hurt his back (he is ok now, thanks to Voltaren).
I had a little disagreement with my supervisor about the project I was doing.
There were delays in our enrolments, our overseas health cover.
We were struggling with the different church culture here and did not know which church to settle into.
Our partying neigbours talk loudly late late into the night (1-2am).

Yup, it felt like a battle out there over those 5 weeks. I really am glad that I'm not alone. There's Lisa, godparents (Bill and Shau), friends (Norman & Vania) plus new brothers and sisters in Christ, and the special One who's been looking after us. How awesome is that!

I'm studying harder than usual- more settled already. This study thing is driving me nuts- as you know I never was a studious person- that's where I find a challenge God wanted me to face. Out of the comfort of home- doing something, I believe to glorify His mighty name. I see Lisa working hard- reading and writing her literature reviews, on my part, I can't help but want to remind myself to fulfil my mission here.

I ask Him for strength for the day, and I hope you have a strength-filled day...not just with a cuppa but from the everlasting!

Till then, pleasant journey in your walk.



Joerg & Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment